Thursday, July 24, 2014

Bittersweet


Reflections from Madi L:
This week was one of work, heartbreak, friendship, and love. Lots and lots of love. My favorite part of the week was working with all of the kids at Kids’ Club. If you have been following the blog, I made an incredible connection with a beautiful 8-year-old girl named Ezabella. When we went to pick her up from her home in the Sunrise Housing District, she was so excited to come to Kids’ Club that she ran barefooted through thistles that were at least four feet tall. My heart broke for her. We spent the day together, where she decorated my Goldy Gopher shirt with mermaid stickers and pirate sword stickers to make Goldy look like a rabbit. He was further donned with a tiara and a princess wand. She was then kind enough to guess my age…13. Only 8 years off! She told me that Jesus loves her so much, and she knows this because her favorite song is “Jesus Loves Me.” Ezabella’s mother moved her to Martin from New Mexico earlier this summer to break the chain of alcoholism and drug addiction; they, along with her older brother, are currently living in a small home with another family with multiple children, with not much more than the clothes on their backs. And no shoes for little Ezabella. I cried when I got back from working, realizing how absolutely blessed I am to have what I have. To not worry about where my meal was coming from. How blessed I am to have the dilemma of choosing which pair of shoes I want to wear today. I spent only one day with her and I couldn’t tell her enough how much she was loved by not only Jesus, but me, and everyone else in the world. This week was one I will not easily forget. It was full of service, praise, and love for our savior, Jesus Christ. It was full of new friends, as well as building stronger relationships with those I already knew. I thank the Lord for Ezabella, her courageous mother, everyone in Martin, and everyone gracious enough to serve for the week. God is good, and He loves us so very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment